Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Lamenting silk thread...

I am quite anxious. I got an order where I need silk thread, and my order from Japan hasn't arrived yet.  Usually, I bought mine from USA or Singapore, and stock up more than I need, but I am out of the white one and unfortunately, that one is the one that I need =(

I do try locally, if any sell the brand that I usually used, but so far I can't find any.

In general, I do have a love-hate relationship with silk thread. While silk thread makes the finished jewelry looks nice and has a pretty lustre, they have to be stretched overnight first before being used. My first try on this, I didn't stretch the thread long enough and in a week, my bracelet has been stretched out of shape.

Also, usually silk thread is used when you want to make knots between beads. The knots has to be tight and just exactly beside the beads. Now, imagine making a necklace. Half the way to finish, you made one knot that is not exactly beside the bead. You have to cut the entire necklace, stretch a new thread and begin again. Not to mention cutting open the necklace is not easy, because there're many knots that are just beside the beads ><.


No comments:

Post a Comment