Saturday, December 15, 2012

My new blog for my idle hands

I moved my blog for my idle hands here, because after considering, I think the old one has too many private entries related to it and it ties with too many things. So, this is my new blog. I will migrate some of my entries from my old blog here in this few days.

I am still making new beaded jewelry, but lately I am occupied by a new hobby: making clay charms. It's not exactly a new hobby, but the last time I touched clay has been years and years ago, and it was quite a disaster for me. A lot of crumbs and nothing to show for it, not to mention difficult to clean 'flour' everywhere.

As my habit, before I started again this time, I did some browsing in the net, 'researching' about it. The new and quite popular one to use currently is oven dried polymer clay. I am quite tempted to use that one. The most popular brands are USA made and the resulting charms that I saw are really cute. Unfortunately, I have no oven to be 'sacrifice' for it, as I read that it can left some smell on the oven.

So, back to the air dried for me. My old one is Japanese stone clay. It can be stored for quite sometimes, and can be used for making models. In fact, my sister love this one and she had made figurines to clocks using this one. But in my opinion, judging by seeing her work, it's too messy for my taste. I don't exactly have a huge space for all of my craft items.

There're also paper clay, which is affordable and very easily to procure, but I found out that this one is not exactly popular for making charm.

In the end, I decided on using Japanese resin clay. It was said to be very light, the colors that was sold just exactly what I wanted, and it seems good for making charm.



I found out later on, that this clay has some limitation if I want to make very complicated shapes. But, for making simple charms, especially if I want them to have texture and looks like bread, marshmallow, biscuit and the like, they are perfect. Additionally, they are very, very light. So I can use my result for earrings or as charm for bracelet or as pendant. It was also said to be waterproof, but I haven't tested this claim yet...


No comments:

Post a Comment